13 May 2007

Mother's Day 2007

Madre, mom, mommy, mother, ma...nothing is sweeter to my ears than being called "mom" by one of my girls. I confess I only really considered myself a mom until the last year or so...sounds crazy, since my oldest is fifteen years old. But when I think of mom, I think of my own mother who died when I was nineteen. That is who mom is...I'm Ann, the daughter. It's not that I don't love my children (I do) or love being a mom (I love that, too), but when I look in the mirror I still see the eighteen year old girl who lived, loved and slept sports. I still see the girl who loved to spend all afternoon shooting baskets or inventing new games to play with her brothers. I still see the girl who dreams about what she wants to be when she grows up. Who me? Mom? No, that's Bernita, that's mom, I'm Ann, the daughter.

I think this year has really been a turning point. I don't know if turning 40 has anything to do with it. Or that my firstborn is a freshman in high school and my youngest starts kindergarten in August. But when I look in the mirror I don't see the eighteen year old girl in the basketball uniform...I see Mom. Of course I still love to shoot baskets (and hit volleyballs and go on long runs), invent new games to play with my kids and I am still dreaming about what I want to be when I grow up...but I am the Mom now...I am the Mom.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Amen! It is strange to think that I AM THE MOM! The way I think of my mom and the memories of I have of growing up are the same ways my daughter sees me and thinks of me! What a joy and a respondsibility! Great post! thanks! Angela

Anonymous said...

This is an great post, you are a very talented writer and it really strikes a cord with me. I can really identify in what you are writing! Keep up His work!

{ann} said...

Thank you very much. I love to write and have been receiving a lot of positive feedback...it makes me happy to know the words I have been Graciously given encourage others.