30 January 2008

WFMW: Ubiquitous Capture…



u·biq·ui·tous (yōō-bĭk'wĭ-təs) adj. Being or seeming to be everywhere at the same time; omnipresent.

cap·ture (kāp'chər) v. To enter (data) into a computer for processing or storage.

If you've ever wondered what it's like be ADD, think about it this way…your brain processes like a Pentium but has 2 MBs of RAM. I don't really know what that means in computer speak, but in my reality it means I am constantly thinking and processing information, but am unable to capture and remember most of what I have been processing and thinking about.

This is what is going on in my brain over a period of say…30 seconds: I need to remember to drop off the library books…where's my library card?...Since Hobby Lobby is near the library I can pick up a Valentine's craft for the girls…but I get so distracted in there, I'll have to set the timer on my watch…what time is the Brownie meeting tonight?....I should wash the sheets from Lily and Emily's beds today…I'm out of detergent…I'll remember to pick some up at big box discount store…On my way to big box discount store I'll put gas in the van…but the checkbook needs balanced first…I can do that tomorrow after the meeting at work…what time is that happening?...When does my RN license renew…do I have enough continuing education hours?...does graduate coursework count?...…AND this stream of thoughts goes on and on all day.

How does a mostly stay at home mom of three girls who are involved in school and various activities and whose dear husband travels frequently keep her act somewhat together when her mind is racing like this? I have an especially useful tool for
ubiquitous capture
of pesky thoughts, imaginings, wonderings and reminders: a small notebook.


I keep my notebook with me at all times and capture my ideas, thoughts and thinks in one place to be processed further or deleted. Result: mind like water. My mind is cleared of thoughts, ideas and junk so I can think about what is important now. I don't have to tell my children to "be quiet so Mommy can think" anymore…I say "Let Mom write this thought down real quick, then I can give you my full attention."

For more on ubiquitous capture and Zen to Done, see Leo's blog Zen Habits.

Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer sponsors WFMW where you can find more ideas that work!

5 comments:

awalkabout said...

This is very interesting to me. My husband has ADD and I'm always trying to figure out WHY he does the things he does because they make no sense to me. Thanks for the explanation I can follow!

babs

Ann said...

I'm not sure if I explained much, but I am glad to have shed some light on ADD for you. When I was first diagnosed a couple of years ago it was such a relief to have an "explanation" for some of the behaviors and quirks I have had since childhood. My husband, upon learning of my diagnosis was initially skeptical, but after learning more about ADD is much more supportive and understanding of my creative, quirky self.

sobeit89 said...

This reminded me of a student I had this year. He was on medication, but literally could not finish his work. The sentences were stopped right before the end. His brain was going faster than his hand could write. I let him stay after school two days a week to make sure that he finished everything! I hope his teacher next year will work with him to make sure he doesn't fall behind in his work.

Have a great week!

sobeit
http://sobeit89.squarespace

Ann said...

sobeit89, thanks for your comment. Yup...somedays it is like that for me...my brain is processing ideas in nanoseconds and my body can only do one thing at a time. The UC notebook has been a great tool for me.

The Ultimate Ubiquitous Capture Device? « Geeks Guide To Productivity said...

[...] WFMW: Ubiquitous Capture… « Out of the Mud [...]